The Panasonic AG-AF100A Digital Cinema Camcorder features a
Micro 4/3" MOS image sensor and interchangeable lens mount for capturing
video with shallow depth-of-field and a wider field-of-view than more
traditional, smaller format camcorders. The AF100A can record Full HD
1920x1080 resolution video at 60i, 50i, 30p, 25p and 24p as well as
1280x720 resolution at up to 60p/50p. In addition to the aesthetic
merits of a large sensor, interchangeable lens system, the AF100A offers
many of the features that professional videographers expect from the
camcorder form factor, such as built-in ND filters and XLR audio inputs.
In addition, variable frame rate recording can capture between 12 and 60 frames per second in the 1080/30p/24p format. Panasonic's PS, PH, HA and HE recording modes offer variable bit rates from approximately 6 to 25 Mbps, and an uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit signal can be output via HD-SDI. Other professional features include six built-in customizable scene files, timecode, timecode synch, a 3.45" LCD display. Finally, dual SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slots support relay recording with automatic clip spanning for up to 12 hours of continuous recording time.
- Full HD Video Recording
- The AF100A can records 1920x1080 resolution video at native 60i, 50i, 30p, 25p and 24p frames per second and 1280x720 resolution video at up to 60p/50p. The AF100A complies with the AVCHD ver. 2.0 (AVCHD Progressive) standard with a new PS mode (average approx. 25Mbps, maximum 28Mbps) for recording, playing and outputting Full HD progressive images via HDMI.
- HD-SDI Output for Uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit
- In addition to the on-board recorder, the camera's HD-SDI connection can output uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit for external recording and monitoring.
- Built-in Optical ND Filters
- The AF100A features built-in, optical neutral density filters, in 2 stops, 4 stops and 6 stops. ND filters are essential for working in brightly lit environments, especially when pairing the large sensor with a fast lens for shallow depth-of-field.
- Professional Audio Recording Features
- Two XLR audio inputs are built-in, and both inputs are line/mic selectable with phantom power. They also offer high-quality pre-amps, full manual audio level control and the ability to disable all Audio Gain. The camera's PH mode records Dolby Digital/2ch, linear PCM/2ch and uncompressed 48 KHz 16-bit audio. The AF100A also features a built-in stereo microphone.
- Variable Frame Rate Recording
- 20 variable frame rates from 12 to 60 frames per second enable fast-motion and slow-motion recordings. Up to 60P or 50p (dependent on 60 or 50Hz mode) is compressed as 1080/24p/30/25p.
- Two Memory Card Slots
- Using two SDXC memory cards, the AG-AF100 can record and store up to 12 hours in PH mode or 48 hours in HE mode. Relay recording with automatic clip spanning enables a maximum continuous recording time of up to 12 hours. Class 4 or higher SD/SDHC/SDXC cards are required for recording in PH or HA mode, but for other recording modes Class 2 or higher is sufficient. Video clips can also be copied from one card to the other for an easy back-up.
- Dynamic Range Stretch Function
- The DRS function recognizes the average brightness of highlight and shadow areas and automatically adjusts settings for a wider dynamic range with minimal blown highlights and blocked shadows.
- SMPTE Timecode and Timecode Synch
- The built-in SMPTE timecode generator lets you select Drop Frame/Non-Drop Frame and Free Run/Rec Run modes and preset. User bits are also provided. Connecting two cameras with a TC preset in/out connector allows the slave camera, to synchronize with the master camera. Note: After synchronization, each camera's timecode runs separately and is not guaranteed to match precisely.
- Customizable Scene Files
- Six built-in, customizable Scene Files can be utilized for matching distinctive looks between multiple cameras or on different shooting days. Built-in gamma curves including HD Norm, HD Low and High, Cine-like D, Cine-like V and B.Stretch. Four selectable color matrices including Norm 1 and Norm 2, Fluorescent and Cinelike. Other controls include Color Phase and Saturation as well as Pedestal and Detail image control.
- Manual Focus Assist and AF
- The AF100A is equipped with an HD focus assist function. The focus bar indicates the focus level and the focus-in-red (peaking) display highlights the hard edges of in focus objects. These features can be extremely helpful when making manual focus adjustments. Auto focus is also available when using compatible Lumix lenses, and AF features include face detection and area auto focus.
- LCD Monitor and Electronic Viewfinder
- The AF100A features a 3.45" 16:9 LCD display with approximately 920K dot resolution for monitoring, playback and adjusting menu settings. There is also an electronic viewfinder with approximately 1,226K resolution.
- Monitoring Features
- Monitoring features include two sets of zebra display markers, Waveform and Vectorscope accurate monitoring of Broadcast Safe Levels. In addition, Spotmeter "marker" provides instant feedback on key exposure values.
- Additional Features
- Manual and preset white balance choices
- Preset black balance options
- Syncro-scan shutter and Slow shutter mode
- Pre-record and an intervalometer function for up to 24 hours
- Aspect ratio markings (16:9, 2.35, 1.85, 14:9 and 4:3)
- Programmable user buttons
- ATW Lock and Shot Mark
- Smart Battery interface (recording times of up to 4 hours with a 5400mA battery)
- Metadata allows users to assign clip names
- Down-converted standard definition composite output
- Professional color bars and 1000Hz tone
- Standard Panasonic communication protocol for remote control
- Wireless infrared remote controller